Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tool of the trade: CRAFT, INC. by Meg Mateo Ilasco & a CocoaStomp Shop Update

Morning, friends!

I had a small hissy fit yesterday trying to paint glass. In a painting. I don't even want to talk about it. It actually made my brain hurt, but I think I did it.
Trouble waking up this morning so -- dare I admit it being in Seattle and all?!?:

Sometimes, in the morning, I microwave coffee left over in the coffee pot from the day before. It isn't very good. I'm not even sure it's hygienic, but I just hate pouring it out sometimes especially if I'm too lazy/tired to make a new pot anyway. Plus it gets the job done and I add a load of milk. I'm a coffee recycler and/or hearkening back to the days of the Depression? NEVER do this to guests, just me and Aaron (he never knows the difference.)

Anyway, I thought I should share a better habit with you -- things I'm finding useful in my illustrating life. Maybe each week or so I'll post a favorite art/craft item.

This week: A book I've been reading lately, Craft, Inc. by Meg Mateo Ilasco. Anyone else out there have an opinion? I got the book when it first came out, but really couldn't apply much of it to my world. Now with the Etsy shop I find the publicity building, pricing and interviews of designers really helpful. Some of the PR elements might even be relevant to authors/illustrators. I do think each chapter could be expanded to its own book, though, and wonder if I'll ever fully understand the business side of art without a marketing degree. A goal of mine for 2009 is to get smart and look for any local classes on small business. If anyone can recommend any in the Seattle area I'm all ears.

And a shop update. If you are a family member, please stop reading.

.
.
.
.
Okay, I'm not saying I'm related to anyone like
this, but at some point aren't we all Visiting Relative Monsters? Up now in the Etsy shop.


Assembling goody bags for Friday night's shindig and drawing are some top priorities for today. Can't wait!

3 comments:

Ali said...

I can't believe you do that with your coffee. I'm not going to tell Mike. He'll lose all respect for you.
It's actually the kind of thing I do........but maybe not with day old coffee.
x

CocoaStomp said...

Oh, please, don't tell Mike. He might never speak to me again. I'm curious -- what other food product you might use old INSTEAD of coffee? Bourbon? Day old bourbon?

Ali said...

Pizza!!!