Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl of Tea and Soccer



Aaron and I are still worn out from our weekend of insulation installation. We also gave the dog a bath this morning* and the cat a nail trim, so all residents of Temairika/Hedquistville are emotionally or physically exhausted.

We do not, this year at least, care a sniff about the Super Bowl (we do have some Super Bowl snacks, though.) Instead I've been reading a delightful new book, The Teashop Girls, while occasionally watching some Tivoed Liverpool vs. Chelsea with Aaron and Logan (it was snowing in Liverpool!)

In case you want to know more about The Teashop Girls:

First off, the book has great interior spots by SuJean Rim of Daily Candy fame.



Second, there are recipes in the book! Third, the book is thoughtfully designed and detailed -- besides the spots and recipes there are also great, great tea quotes at the start of every chapter, cute lists from the main character or the main character's notes about the history of tea, and a fresh element I have not seen in any other tween/teen book -- scans of old tea ads and ephemera.

It is a sweet story with non-edgy (but still sassy) teens, first in the series. I'm about half way through, but am enjoying it immensely so far. The only problem is I keep looking back to the first recipe in the book of gingerbread cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting. Not sure I can read any more of the dang thing without baking up the cuppers and brewing up some tea.

My secret hope is that the rest of the series has some mystery element to it, but that is only my inner Marple talking. The author, Laura Schaefer, has a tea-riffic (zing!) blog. If she comes to Seattle I hope I run into her at Queen Mary.


* Um, Logan is the biggest wimpy baby when it comes to taking a bath. He becomes dead weight when lifting or slipperier than an eel when trying to corral. Normally, once in the bath, he acts like he is being slowly murdered. But today we discovered that if you constantly feed him doggie snacks he will constantly eat them, even the snacks he usually spits out. And if you feed him while drying him with a super sonic hair dryer he will even wag his tail a little. I think he might be an emotional eater.

2 comments:

annie said...

Thanks for blogging about this book, Jaime. I am a tea fiend. Last night I watched part of "Vera Drake" which is about all kinds of serious things, but I was very struck by how the main character approached all kinds of woes with a "nice hot cuppa."

Laini Taylor said...

Book sounds adorable. I shall have to check it out! I'm reading a tea-centric book right now too: The Tea Rose, a historical, about a Fiesty Heroine who overcomes Personal Tragedy to Triumph in the Tea Trade. (I'm making it sound cheesey, but it's good! Same author who wrote A Northern Light).

:-)