Saturday, March 7, 2009

10,000 Hours


The contractors are gone from our house. It is so quiet now, just the sound of Bebop snoring and Logan tooting. I have full access to the downstairs for all the cosmetic work I get to do, all the spackling and painting I've ever dreamed of. And some tiling eventually.

While I do all this I'm listening to OUTLIERS, Malcolm Gladwell's new book. Such a nice last name. I'm on Disc 3 and have just heard about the 10,000 hours of practice it takes someone to get really good at their craft. I love that number!

Starting now, at 0 hours, I'm going to count how many hours I paint and draw. For the month of November last year I worked an average of 8 hours a day, 7 days a week to do the 12 holiday monster paintings. That's only 224 hours. If I work like that for the next 44 months I will hit my 10,000.

But I need a paying job...so it might take me 88 months. Which is like, 7 years. But besides cupcake testing there is nothing I'd rather do than illustrate and if Malcolm promises me I'll be really, really good in 7 years I will happily believe and try. And if any of the hours I've already put in doing art secretly count and I'm better sooner than 7 years from now, what a lovely surprise that will be.

1 comment:

-karen ann. said...

jaime, i love that number too. and i also believe that it doesn't matter if that's how long it takes to get good at something, beceause it's worth it. HOWEVER, every moment experimenting, life drawing people eating cupcakes, making scens from triangles, squares and circles totally counts.