Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hiatus Blows



I was deaddog sick a few weeks ago and spent a lot of time on the couch.
A few things I did:

Realized how much I miss blogging and reading blogs even if I'm crazy busy
Ate my weight in pho
Watched movies I somehow did not see growing up like Say Anything, Pretty In Pink, and Working Girl
Lost part of my brain cells playing too much Chain Factor
Listened to Alyson B. Stanfield's podcast interview on CRAFTCAST as well as the Wendy Rosen one
And I read this book I'd Rather Be in the Studio by Alyson B. Stanfield.


The book is wonderful and I'd recommend it to any artist. It is geared to artists wanting to get work in galleries, but I think much of it can be applied to illustrators. Alyson stresses the amount of time you really need to dedicate to marketing. But this is only after you have a substantial body of work. I think my body of work still needs to do some growing so I will be focused on that for a while even though I LOVE marketing.

Wendy Rosen said most successful artists work 60 hours a week. So my being busy is no excuse for not being on the blog train and sneaking some art and writing time in here and there. Annie Gage is getting up super early like Kate DiCamillo did to write and Laini Taylor is getting up early this month, too!

And I have good news that I'll be able to post about at 9:01 am this morning!

5 comments:

Cuppa Jolie said...

Ditch the hiatus! Blog on, girl!

Kim Baker said...

Dude.
How could you not have seen Say Anything?!?
I crushed on Lloyd Dobler for fifteen years.

CocoaStomp said...

I can't believe it was filmed in WA no less. I now have a LD crush as well. But it is hard to see the Frasier dad playing an ass hat.

Jennifer Mann said...

Looking forward to checking out that book. Send me some of that marketing love, cause I'm not feeling it!

Kirby Larson said...

Jaime,

I've missed your blog so much! The world was like a cupcake with no frosting without Cocoastomp.

Glad you're back, girl!