Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spinal Tap

Life and house are a bit crazy right now. This will probably be the last post until we get back from our secret-to-me Honeymoon.

One calm-bringing element: we got new bookshelves to fit all of our books. Which have been piled in the window or teetering in my office or still in boxes.

Not the best picture, but you get the drift:



Poor librarians seeing this picture, I can almost feel their organizational hairs rising in protest. Sorting books by color is really easy. Easier than the Dewey Decimal system or the god awful alphabet. I love seeing my books grouped this way. I also love finding the History of the Pacific Northwest next to a Zelinsky pop-up or a Blevgad illustrated Pepperidge Farm Cookbook.

It is interesting, to me at least, how many books have a warm-color cover but a cool-color spine and vice versa and how that changes my reaction to the cover vs. the spine. And that most of the black spines are books by men...

8 comments:

Ali said...

They look lovely. You are a genius!

A x

Cuppa Jolie said...

Love it! And your tweeters, too! ;)

Kirby Larson said...

There's nothing like seeing beautifully organized books to tempt me away from this revision and into some organizing of my own. . . .but I'll resist that temptation, just this once.

Kjersten said...

I love how you organize by color. I want to do that. Fun.

CocoaStomp said...

DO IT EVERYBODY!

I can't stop looking at my books. And it is soothing somehow, too. I think the Adobe offices organized their books by Pantone color...or maybe it was the Pantone headquarters.

I found 6 more boxes of books yesterday, though, so maybe I will do a miniature rainbow in another bookshelf.

Z-Kids said...

I love this!
Ours are all organized by height, but perhaps we're due to give color a chance...
Z-Dad

Suzanne Williams said...

You are right--as a (former) librarian, I find your arrangement by color horrifying, if not vaguely sinister and threatening. My books are in ABC order by author within sections for picture books, easy readers, and middle grade novels. OTOH, whatever floats your boat will keep it from sinking, I guess.

What's this about a honeymoon? When are you getting married? Congratulations, btw!

holly cupala said...

Brilliant! I love it. Shiraz teases me for organizing books by height (which I don't do...exactly...ok, only sometimes, which the shelf height dictates!). He took one look at your picture and shook his head. Priceless.