Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Alyson B. Stanfield is in my braiinnn!

In the best way possible!


I have been immersed in all that is Alyson B. Stanfield/ArtBizCoach since June 3rd and life is better because of it.

First, she has a great book that I think applies quite well to illustrators AND authors: I'd Rather Be In The Studio. I read it while I was sick. I keep rereading it as I get more focus for myself and my career and I think I am going to keep rereading it until the cows come home. An art studio isn't too different from a writer's hovel and I think her ideal percentage of time creating vs. time marketing is good for authors, too.



Second, she is truly on top of her marketing game in every way, shape, and form. Alyson absolutely practices what she preaches. AND best of all, she does everything in text AND podcast format for her posts. I can't keep up with her, and have only just downloaded all of her Art Marketing Action Podcasts. They are on constant repeat for me right now.

AND a big Third, Alyson does these cool, focused classes/workshops. She just calls it a 'class,' but I am having an experience. I signed up for her Blast Off Class which is happening the weekdays of June. It has been so great. Really manageable bites of homework and stuff to think about. I know I should be able to do all of this by myself, but man, it has been so rewarding to have this friendly person reminding me every morning about getting my butt in gear.

My favorite part so far has been the daily gratitudes. I know, lots of books tell you to do this. But Alyson asks you to just find five things to be grateful for each day and every day for the duration of the class. And I do not want to disappoint this lady even if she is not physically checking up on me.

I do the set amount twice, one set for things I'm grateful for about work stuff and one set for things I'm personally grateful for. Being grateful is a good thing to try and overachieve at. I love it. I think I've been better behaved because of it (don't ask Aaron, though) and I'm definitely more thoughtful all day because of it and appreciative of what I have and I *hope* less whiny.

Alyson is doing another Blast Off class in September. I recommend it!

3 comments:

Martha Brockenbrough said...

Tempting class! I, for one, am grateful for COCOASTOMP! :-)

Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Jaime,this cracked me up! Just that image alone. Thank you for your kind words. I'm quite blessed to have artists like you in my life. It makes my work a complete joy.

CocoaStomp said...

Oh, Martha, you were usually one of the five on my Things I'm Grateful for list. That and coffee.

Alyson, I'm glad you enjoyed the hearts! It has been a great great experience for me, finding your book and taking the blast off class.