Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ecstatic about: Craig Thompson



So, to gush once more about the Blast Off class with Alyson Stanfield. One morning she had us focus on what makes us ecstatic to be artists -- usually other artists or new settings/experiences. Which is different from what makes me ecstatic as a human being (puppies and cupcakes.)

And this weekend I was blown away by the awesomeness that is Carnet de Voyage, Craig Thompon's travel journal.

Certainly, there are lots of lovely published travel journals in the world, but this one stands out to me. I still don't know if he did pencil sketches first or if he's just an outrageously wonderful pen and inker, but the final product is gorgeous and full of story besides nice scenery. I guess that is what sets it apart. From page one on there is so much more to it than drawings of Moroccan or Parisian architecture. I'm sure there are more insightful reviews here.

It is sold out, but being reprinted right now, shipping this month! So I bet the Fantagraphics bookshop will get some in soon if they don't have some already.

Oo! And he has a very cool blog with lots of how-I-work posts from the looks of it so we can all find out how he did Carnet.

Thanks so much to Brianna (sp?) for bringing Carnet into Cartooning Class!

4 comments:

Stephanie Perkins said...

I LOVE Carnet! If you haven't read Blankets or Good-bye, Chunky Rice, they are also musts :)

CocoaStomp said...

Cool! Blankets and Chunky were also in the classroom and looked fantastic, but I had a little heart flutter with Carnet so I think I will read that first.

BJW said...

Yeah Craig Thompson is really good. Checked out his blog and he's solid.

Jamie you're pretty dang good yourself. Gushed about you at Jolie's blog, you and the book dragon and all the rest of you way-too talented bloggaristas I'm discovering more and more about.

-karen ann. said...

oui oui. carnet de voyage is super cool and i love goodbye chunky rice. thanks for the link to craig's blog. tres magnifique!