Monday, June 29, 2009

Etsy preview, Coffee, Nana News, Dating, Dubbing

Small original paintings for sale tomorrow in the CocoaStomp Etsy Shop that are surely welcome friends in any Kitchenette:

Jacques Pépig


Mario Beartali

and Jean Anthelme Brillab-Savarin


Each measure 7.5 by 7.5 inches with lots of white space for framing. We'll be making prints of them available in a few weeks.

Part of me really wants to make a Rachel Ray manta ray, but I dunno. Gordon Ramsay is a natural choice... J-ewe-lia Child, Wolfgang Puck, Anthony Boardain, Madhur Giraffrey, Molly Catzen, Emeril LagAss, Graham Cur, Marten Yan -- these names aren't on the paintings or anything, just having fun. Maybe this pun explosion is turning you all off...

Other good things:

Something scrumptious West Seattleites get access to and maybe other neighborhoods -- The Vashon Island Coffee Roasterie coffee.


First, I love the packaging. Very elegant. How can you not want to sip Front Porch French? And although they don't have any illustrations on their label, they do have an E.B. White quote which is great:

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to save the world and a desire to savor it... Which makes it hard to plan the day."


And we know from Kirby that E.B. was around town at some point. Vashon Island is a few minutes by ferry from my house. Betty MacDonald lived there and now the amazing Karen Cushman calls it home. Must be something in the coffee.

Below the coffee is a flat of strawberries that will be made into strawberry jam. I can't decide if I want to use Nigella's recipe or my Nana's. Nana does raspberry jam, not strawberry usually, so I'm not sure who the expert is on this occasion. Nigella puts balsamic in her jam which sounds exotic. I wonder what recipe Laini uses...

In other Nana News: My Nana's boyfriend is 84 today. She is baking him 84 cookies (neither of them is on the interweb, so I don't think I'm ruining any surprises.) I asked, "Really! You are making 84 cookies?" And she said, "Well, that's only 7 dozen." Oh Nana, you baking fiend you.

If I wasn't happily married, maybe I would be putting my profile on the Borders Happily Ever After dating site. But I mostly only read picture books and cookbooks so I guess I'd be set up with a five year old who knows his way around the kitchen?

Finally, for all of you that adore Holly Cupala as much as I do, Ben the Dubber has given her her official title which is lovely and silly.

5 comments:

holly cupala said...

I can't wait for the CocoaStomp Store's GRAND REOPENING! Yay!

And thank you for the sweet nomination - I am so utterly touched by the wonders that are my friends! Hugs.

-karen ann. said...

the buttery brown roundness of your culinary animals make them look edible! but they are way too charming to eat. besides being made of paper.

my mom is the same age as your nana's boyfriend. she is a force, too. i love the old ladies who show us young ones how it's done!

CocoaStomp said...

I am totally on board with eating large animal shaped cookies -- did you see that Mother's Circus Animals are back! There is a God.

Yeah, my Nanners has better plans than hanging out with me for the Fourth. She is a real social butterfly.

BJW said...

Mario Beartali is MY FAVORITE! And the most masculine, of course.

An aside, I believe the Masculator has responded to the Effeminator in as close to verse as I get. And thank you for the shout out.

Bobby Flay... Fillet... Or Bobby (Brit police, I don't know, I just know my wife has a crush on him)...
CAT Corra... (of course)

Morimoto would be pretty cool too, but that's tough, the closest I could get was an EMU in the middle there.

Obviously I stink at this. Carry on. Can't wait to check out your ETSY shop tomorrow. (Alton Brown, hmm)

Kirby Larson said...

I plan to make brioche from my Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day for the 4th of July and now I must whip up some fresh strawberry jam to accompany it!

Yum!