Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mysterious Summer

I have always loved murder and blame this predilection on the fantastic Edward Gorey opening credits animation for Masterpiece Theater/Mystery!.


PBS has since gotten a little too modern and they've screwed with the animation, but I will let it slide as long as they keep showing Agatha Christie inspired shows.

Mysteries are my favorite summer companion.

If you pretend you are 80 like I do and can handle 1.5 hours of period piece British murder while you sip Damson Gin and knit an afghan I hope you are watching PBS on Sunday nights for the next few weeks. I am not quite on board with the new Marple (Geraldine McEwan was perfect) but I do enjoy watching Poirot's mustache. There's a young guy at my grocery store that has the same moustache, but he doesn't seem to be solving any crimes, although I haven't out-and-out asked him... those links above take you to full episodes of the last Marple and Poirot so you can watch online. Nice.

If you want to laugh your patoot off with a bit of mystery, two book series that are fairly bloodless and terrifically funny are the Izzy Spellman books and the Gilda Joyce books.

Lisa Lutz
is totally tubular and taught me how to almost* tail someone I failed because I saw a candy store en route :(

The Spellmans came with me on my honeymoon, they are that wonderful and I love love love each book and am ready for the next.



Gilda Joyce was recommended a long time ago by the fantastic Gayle Richardson. I can't believe these don't get more buzz. Gilda is incredibly hilarious and I'm so glad there are more books in the series to look forward to.

6 comments:

Cuppa Jolie said...

Ooh! Thanks for the reminder about GILDA JOYCE! I remember that recommendation and wanting to check it out. That would be a good one for my girlies, yah?

CocoaStomp said...

Well...Gilda says 'hell' and I think, 'ass.' Which is why I like her. The content is for a bit older, 9 or 10 at the youngest.

BJW said...

I'll buy it just to read hell and ass, in either order, though if the ass goes first, quickly followed by the hell, it works the best.

My sister is a mystery NUT and loves all those shows. When I was younger and more interesting, I used to love Sherlock Holmes with Basil Rathbone. We'll see how Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law pull it off. Pretty decent preview.

Jaime you are very, VERY funny. For the fifty-first time.

BJW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BJW said...

Sorry I deleted a grammatical mistake. Don't want Martha to catch wind of it. I meant to say that Cheryl Klein has a bad writing contest on her blog, with her writing book as the reward. Because the winner has to be funny, well, you should go pick up your award. Or martha. Or jolie. Or... I "know" too many funny, witty people.

Mostly women too. geesh.

Lizard Land said...

I LOVE PBS Mystery, especially Miss Marple. Knitting always seemed suspenseful to me because of her. I just set my TIVO to record the series. And thanks for the mystery series tips--I'm always looking for a good new mystery to read.
Do you know Laurie King's mystery series? She's a fabulous author!