Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ecstatic about: Young Artists!

The one group never in attendance at a children's book conference? Children! And I don't have any. So I was thrilled to be invited to two kid functions a few weeks ago. An art show and a play featuring a couple of celebrities: In Sweden they are known as Den Talande Potatisarna; in England you may know them as The Chatty Tubers; but, here in America, we know them as
THE TALKING POTATOES!!!!!

Below are two kids who both did something amazing in less than seven days this summer.

Alice made a bunch of amazing paintings in four, half-days at her art camp -- check out her great art!

Alice also eats an Oreo like an alien surgeon -- I've NEVER seen anyone extract the white center bit intact like she can.

Lucy was OUTSTANDING in The Wizard of Oz as Ozma. She was in every scene and EVEN changed all of the Scene Titles. They had a week to learn all their lines, songs, choreography, and even make masks! Unbelievably terrific.


And somehow Lucy always finds the most flattering light -- check out that actress! A consummate professional already.

A sample of their day job work below. See more of them here.

5 comments:

Martha Brockenbrough said...

OMG! They are recognized while they are still alive! I'm so glad because, you know, I rather like them that way.

CocoaStomp said...

What I don't understand is why, for the German version of the TP, it was translated to The Raging Rutabagas

Martha Brockenbrough said...

Yeah. Potatoes = Kartoffeln. Those crazy Internet translators.

I sure could use a chocolate malt right about now. Chocolate malt...

BJW said...

Wow, Alice's art is amazing. Martha did you spawn an artist? How did that happen?

And Ozma? Consummate professional for sure. Starring role.

Love me some Ragin' Rutabagas. Jaime did you have to look up Rutabaga? Cuz I would've had to. Good spelling.

CocoaStomp said...

No Benders, I did not look it up. I am good at spelling food.
Martha, I'm declaring a 1 month moratorium for you on chocolate malt references.