Saturday, May 29, 2010

Previously on Bound: Memorial Day Books

Some interesting Revolutionary War picture books about our founding fathers and mothers mentioned on the smart MacKids blog.

George Washington's TeethNow & BenBetsy Ross

For older kids there's the new "Countdown" by Deborah Wiles or "This Means War!" by Ellen Wittlinger, both set during the Cuban Missile Crisis:
CountdownThis Means War

If you feel safer reading about war in alternate universes, "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card was a big deal to me, I'm not sure if it still holds up for today's readers. Two new titles that may take over for Ender are Cory Doctorow's "Little Brother" (though the book lost me on some of the technology. Perhaps I am more like Pat Sajak than I care to admit.) Just finished "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins and am beside myself with worry for when I will get my hot hands on the even hotter "Mockingjay." (Reading tweets of the BEA Scholastic/Mockingjay party, they said that Suzanne reads Katniss with a Southern accent. I'm not sure I can get behind that just yet. I'm trying. Team Peeta, for the record.)

Ender's GameLittle BrotherCatching Fire

Everyone in the children's book community is in love with M.T. Anderson's Octavian Nothing books "The Pox Party" and "The Kingdom on the Waves" as well as Laurie Halse Anderson's "Chains" (follow-up "Forge" comes out in October.)

Octavian Nothing Vol 1: The Pox PartyOctavian Nothing Vol 2: The Kingdom on the WavesChains

Walter Dean Myers's has set his stories in the Civil War, Vietnam, and Iraq: "Riot," "Sunrise Over Fallujah," and "Fallen Angels."

RiotFallen AngelsSunrise Over Fallujah

Zahra's ParadiseAnd don't forget some incredible graphic novels: the online "Zahra's Paradise," "Refresh, Refresh," and "The Photographer."

No comments: