Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Your New Travel Companion: Sailor Twain

I gushed about this earlier in the year, but Sailor Twain, First Second's free, serialized web comic is picking up speed. The last few pages have been extra lush and full of intrigue. AND THE WHOLE THING IS FREAKING FREE! And all online. Perfect vacation reading if you have a fancy phone or can't go ten paces without your laptop.

If you, like me, are a sucker for sea tales (or if Mark Twain was also your boyfriend in a former life) then you must go check this out.

Read it once for pure pleasure, then read it again. The whole thing is a lesson in mystery writing, draftsmanship, panel building, and just plain dreamy. There's even been two swear words, so I'm in heaven.

And you can have Mark Siegel's art in your house! They have four prints available at a ridiculously low price. I have 'Wounded Mermaid' and am thinking I need at least 'Don't Call Me Captain' and maybe something from an unreleased chapter to round out my collection.

The link section is full of smart bits like a widget showcasing other great artists who wow in black and white. And I can't WAIT to see what the 'Handwritten Love Letters' section yields.

3 comments:

Richard Jesse Watson said...

I love sea tales too, Jamie, and Siegel's web comic is mysterious, andcompelling, with just the right amount of wierd. Thanks for this post.

Hard to beat fog, and looming bridges, and mermaids, and steamboats for intrigue.

See you at the LA conference.

CocoaStomp said...

Hey Richard,
Eee! I didn't know you'd be coming to LA! This is AWESOME!

a. fortis said...

I hadn't heard of it, but I'm definitely going to have to check it out!