Thursday, July 15, 2010

SCBWI TEAM BLOG Interview with William Low, Part Two

Just a few more questions and some wise words from William Low. I'm attempting to work today like William works—JUST coffee, no snackiepoos. We'll see if my face melts off from the unnaturalness of it all.

Jaime: Are there any people you look forward to hearing at the upcoming LA conference?

William: I expect to see a few familiar faces, but since this is my first summer conference, everything will be new to me. All of the keynote speakers sound terrific and I am looking forward to meeting them!

Jaime: What are you working on now?

William: Right now I am putting the finishing touches on my book, Machines Go To Work in the City  and a new picture book by T.A. Barron, Ghost Hands. (Jaime adds—Check out their previous collaboration on The Day the Stones Walked!)


Jaime: What do you think of the iPad?

William: I have not tried the iPad yet, but I love the concept. I saw a drawing demonstration online by David Kassan and it was amazing. The idea of digital picture books is also exciting... this is truly a new frontier.

Jaime: Are you looking forward to better digital tablets in the near future?

William: I'd love to see a pressure sensitive iPad type devise that was based on the Mac OSX. That way, I can run Adobe Photoshop/Corel Painter and will be free to paint without being tethered to an outlet.

Jaime: It's only a matter of time for the above, I'm sure. Maybe you can help develop the iEasel. I am interested in helping develop the iEasyBakeOven. Last question: Any words of advice to illustrators just starting out in the children's book field?

William: Try to follow your personal vision. Don't try to develop a style, this needs to evolve naturally. Try not to be overly influenced by any one contemporary artist. Look at the old Masters for insights on color, drawing and composition. Watch your favorite movie without the sound to analyze staging, lighting and visual story telling.  Travel!

Jaime: Thanks for all your time, William. Remember, there's still time to register for the SCBWI International Summer Conference and a few spots left in William's premium workshop series!

No comments: