First off, Secret Garden always has lovely display windows as those are usually done by chic crafter Dawn:
And it's not just Dawn that's crafty, the store has a great display table of signed craft books and crafty wares. So lovely it almost wipes away the nightmare that is me knitting...
Secret Garden has also upped its purchase of holiday cards this year, and they are all winners. Some vintage reproductions as well as lovely ones by Egg Press caught my eye.
I asked Christy McDanold, the owner, what her favorite books of the season are, and she brought me over to the children's book holiday display.
- LI'L RABBIT'S KWANZAA by Donna Washington, illustrated by Shane Evans
- CHRISTMAS MENORAHS by Janice Cohn, illustrated by Bill Farnsworth
- IT'S CHRISTMAS, DAVID by David Shannon
Suzanne, Secret Garden's event guru, was thrilled to tell me about some faboo gift ideas—all of the titles below are signed by the author:
- FLOTSAM and ART AND MAX by David Wiesner
- TWO BOBBIES by Kirby Larson and Mary Nethery, illustrated by Jean Cassels
- HOW ROCKET LEARNED TO READ by Tad Hills
- IF YOU GIVE A PIG A PANCAKE and IF YOU GIVE A MOOSE A MUFFIN by Laura Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond
- OH NO! (OR HOW MY SCIENCE PROJECT DESTROYED THE WORLD) by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Dan Santat
- SWAMP ANGEL and it’s follow up DIRT DEVIL by Anne Isaacs, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky
- JAKE STAYS AWAKE by Michael Wright
You'll also be able to get your cider on at Secret Garden. Ballard businesses are having a holiday party this Saturday, December 4th, and Santa is supposedly dropping by and there will be FREE horse-drawn hay rides.
Speaking of horses, maybe you want to get a jump on your resolution to join a book club? Secret Garden's meets December 16 with OUT STEALING HORSES by Per Petterson. Try this club, they don't bite! That's the Vampire Books Book Club and they only meet after store hours.
Secret Garden Books
2214 NW Market Street
Seattle, WA 98107
Seattle, WA 98107
Monday - Saturday 10 - 8
Sunday 12 - 5